PGCE education ,
BSC Hons in Sociology and Education ,
PGCE education ,
BSC Hons in Sociology and Education ,
Qualified primary years and secondary school teacher with 16+ years experience
Autism and SEN specialism
Multi-sensory and fun approach
Art, Drama and Music therapeutic approach
Tutor Specialisms and Experience
- Post 16
- Speech Therapy
- KS1/KS2 Teacher
- Spelling and reading
- Educational Consultancy
- Fine and/ or gross motor skills
- Focus and attention
- Confidence and self-esteem
- ADD/ ADHD
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Global Developmental Delay
Experience, training and skills
I am a qualified primary and secondary teacher, specialising in supporting children with additional needs. I have had the privilege to teach as an Advanced Skills teacher in an outstanding school for 16 years. My hard work and dedication has helped children make progress using timely interventions to help reach their maximum potential. I have also been an advisory teacher for the Borough of Harrow in which I spent time in local primary schools raising the standard of teaching and learning.
To widen my skills set and experience, I retrained to teach with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) children in a primary school. Having the benefits of such a broad spectrum of experience, has inspired me to become a private tutor to help students beyond their classroom environment.
I am able to provide each pupil with tailor made lessons to suit their individual needs. Through conscientious and differentiated planning, my lessons cater for a variety of learning needs and styles (Visual, Auditory, and Kinaesthetic). I make the processes of speaking, listening, reading and writing explicit, using a range of active strategies.
These active strategies include learning through Art, Drama and Music Therapy. Students take part in fun literacy sessions using music and actions to understand various stories. Other examples include using role play to understand how a character within a story may feel.
Having the privilege of teaching both ASD and SLD primary children has allowed me to work alongside both Occupational and Speech Therapists in order to implement various successful strategies. These would include planning, assessing as well as setting up fine motor skills sessions which offered a variety of activities such as:
-PlayDoh and Theraputy
– Peg boards
– Threading buttons
– Exploring various textures (wet and dry) such as flour, rice, lentils etc
-Puzzles and building blocks
– Stamping and stickers
The above sessions are designed to strengthen fingers, works on hand eye coordination, concentration and precision. My mentoring and leadership skills have allowed me to model as well as train how to maximise these fine motor skills with colleagues and parents. Working alongside both groups have given them the confidence to set up their own fine motor activities with their child/ren.
Further to this, I have used various pencil aids to assist writing skills as well as become familiar with various keyboard skills programme.
My philosophy is that as an experienced and qualified practitioner, one of the most key areas that are paramount for learning include joint attention and listening activities. Encouraging children to participate with building, painting and creating projects together.
Further recent training completed:
-ELKLAN Level 3 in Communication and Support for ASD Children
– Autistic Education Trust Level 2 in Developing Good Autism Practice
-Autistic Education Trust Level 3 in Building on existing knowledge
-An introduction to coaching
-Active Listening Training
– Child Protection and Safeguarding
My Teaching Philosophy
“You can never stop learning as education is for life”
Through my fun but fair nature my role as a tutor would be to provide your child with the best resources to build their confidence in any areas of which may need developing. My creative ,fun and motivational approach can help your child to learn and absorb new information as well as further their knowledge to help them prepare for the life.
Choose me if…
– I have taught subjects across all key stages;
– I will use a multi-sensory approach to tutoring as, in my experience, this supported learning ensures that children achieve their best and are kept engaged and on-task for as long as possible. I believe it is important to link learning to real life experiences wherever possible so that pupils can understand why it is important to learn these life skills;
– I plan and deliver lessons through areas of interest of your child. For example, one ASD pupil displayed his frustrations through inappropriate behaviour. As a result, in order to focus and motivate him, I organised English lessons around his favourite topic which was food. He enjoyed these lessons using adjectives to describe fruit; including writing sentences using accurate basic punctuation and grammar;
– I have a proven record of using a Growth Mindset approach to raise my tutees self esteem, by building their self confidence and abilities;
– You will be able to tap into an array of ideas and resources that I can model, teach. share and demonstrate to your child.
Something sensational about me
I am a bubbly ball of enthusiasm who truly believes that every child has the potential to do well.
My resilient and hardworking nature has allowed to retrain from teaching mainstream secondary students to primary ASD/SEN children.
Sheer commitment and determination are the core skills I value and possess.
BSC Hons in Sociology and Education